AVAILABLE NOW AT THE X-PLANE.ORG STORE
Originally from Myvirtualhanger.com ® Now upgraded and maintained by Shade Tree Micro Aviation (STMA). Copyright©2015
A SPECIAL DEDICATION: We are dedicating this model to our good friend and fellow X-Plane modeler, Heinz Dziurowitz, myvirtualhanger.com, who created the Beech 18 Model and who unexpectedly passed away Wednesday, May 13th, 2015. He was a gentleman, a skilled modeler, and a good friend. He will be missed.
THE MODEL: The Beechcraft Model 18 (or "Twin Beech", as it is also known) is a six to 11-seat, twin-engined, low-wing, tailwheel light aircraft manufactured by the Beech Aircraft Corporation of Wichita, Kansas. Continuously produced from 1937 to November 1969, (over 32 years, the world record at the time), over 9,000 were produced, making it one of the world's most widely used light aircraft. Sold worldwide as a civilian executive, utility, cargo aircraft, and passenger airliner on tailwheels, nosewheels, skis or floats, it was also used as a military aircraft, the C45 and AT-11, among other variants.
We are modeling one of the most popular models, the 1954 D18S, with over 1000 built, which also was used as the basis for the C-45G & H (over 500 built).
Later Beech 18 models were fitted with very comfortable interiors & thoroughly modern avionics. It’s rare to find a completely original aircraft so we’ve chosen to equip our aircraft with a combination of original and modern avionics as you might find one on today’s flight line.
If the model 18 had any weaknesses at all it was for being a tail-dragger. In 1960, the Volitan and Parigon Corporations joined forces to form Volpar Inc. Volpar went into the business of converting standard Beech 18's to tricycle gear versions. Their conversion was successful and Beechcraft itself began installing tricycle gear based on the Volpar design. The tricycle gear conversion to the Model 18 gave the aircraft significantly better ground handling characteristics.
The Beech D18S now incorporates AutoUpdater (AU). When enabled it automatically checks for updates every time you load an AU-enabled model or plugin in X-Plane. No more worries about whether or not your model is current. No more complex download procedures or endless inquiries to support staff. Don’t want to update your model or not connected to the internet? If it's a model, simply click on the AutoUpdater Dock to disable it.
How will you know if your model or plugin has AutoUpdater? When you load the model into X-Plane you’ll see the AutoUpdater Dock above the STMA Dock in the left margin of the X-Plane window. A momentary file update notice will appear for each installed AU-equipped plugin in the lower left corner of the screen. If updates are available, a progress bar consisting of small pluses (+) and the file name(s) of the updated files will persist until all files are updated.
FEATURES AND ENHANCEMENTS: We pulled the Beech 18’s into our STMA Hangar and Repair Shop and stripped them down to their basic components and rebuilt them using the Federal Aviation Administration’s Type Certificate Data Sheet (FAA TCDS) and flight manual for the Beechcraft D18S as our guide. Heinz had already made many improvements, including:
- More custom gauges, many with Data Ref driven components
- Sun-visor added, just click on the sun-visor to toggle for use.
- Interior glass now employs textures that will enhance realism
- New 3D toggle and rocker switches for more immersive experience
- New higher resolution liveries
- Includes paint kit in PSD format
- New INN and OUT engine sounds
- New cabin interior with added animation
- Improved 3D bump maps. You have to have this turned on in the sim under “Rendering Options”. Bump maps give the impression of height so make small details stand out
Our rebuilding efforts yielded performance and other benefits:
- Improved 3D modeling of the airframe, cockpit, and cabin.
- Revised weight & balance.
- More realistic fuel system.
- More realistic ignition system.
- More realistic elevator, aileron, and rudder trim systems.
- GNS 530 bezel with fully functioning 3D controls without having to use the pop-up.
- A fully functioning 3D ADF which models a real world unit.
- A modern Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) replaces the DG to compliment the GPS
- Other Instrument panel improvements which more accurately reflect the features of the D18S instrument panel
Get yours HERE.